Monday, September 20, 2010

...green and magic land.

Back in England, Mum and I went our separate ways for a day
Cynthia, John and Mum went to this grand house and garden, Osterley? I think.
and did what they do best.
I boldly caught trains into London
If I'd only waited 30 seconds I could have shown you the incredible colour and diversity of the passengers who disembarked from that bus - I started to feel how exciting it could be to live here...  I was sitting outside a Starbucks waiting for my friend and former Wu Tao teacher, Shanah.
We drove to Avebury - like Stonehenge but more accessible.  The carpark guys told us that the carpark was full but an obliging tree allowed us to lift its branches and park under - that's the sort of thing that happens with Shanah.
 We entered the stone ring and had a picnic
and watched a pagan ceremony.
Then we walked to the village
for a little shopping.
Here's a photo of the area taken from a postcard:
We walked across country to the mound you can see at the top of the photo.  This is Silbury Hill and is man-made.  We crossed the road to West Kennet Long Barrow
and danced Wu Tao overlooking Silbury Hill.
This was sublime.
When we had finished dancing we went to have a look at the Barrow.  And guess who was there?
The Green Man and the Keeper of the Stones.
Some of you know I'm a bit of a fan of the concept of The Green Man.  It was however The Keeper who was the important one on the day - apparently this group use a ceremony based on a Welsh tradition and the Keeper is always a woman.
We wended our way back to the car, then along the M4, over Hammersmith, through Chelsea and back to the Underground Station.  We said our sad goodbyes and I caught 2 trains home to Watford feeling I was dancing all the way.  It was a day made on the Good and Bountiful Earth.

2 comments:

  1. Magic!

    As I recall the earth magic from all those years ago, it involved a caution against Cocks and Balls, but the message conveyed to you would appear to remain sound, if partial.

    BJD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my GOD! I haven't seen this post before...Ella and I were scouring your blog for photos for YOU KNOW WHAT and I saw this. What an amazing day!!!

    ReplyDelete