Sunday, December 29, 2013

Castles


When I was a child on holiday in Wales I loved the castles.  When I returned as an adult I saw them as symbols of oppression and wasn't interested.  But I've mellowed.
Above is Roch Castle recently renovated by a local made good and available as very upmarket accommodation. Below is Castell Coch - Pink Castle - actually a folly.  My cousin Norman took Momery and me there on the day we visited The Rhondda.
 

Frances, David and Cairo took me to Llansteffan.  Fortified by fish and chips from Florries,we walked the wild, long and wide beach.  It is actually an estuary and the tide comes in quickly.  The sort of place where cocklers get swept out to sea.

We made it safely around the headland and to the castle.
 
 

Then back to the car via the village

where they were building a giant bonfire for Guy Fawkes Night.
I'd forgotten about that.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. Maggie, you capture the essence of these magical places! Lovely to share them with you.....and smile at the bus drama! xx

    ReplyDelete