Saturday, January 4, 2014

Last castle - Pembroke

A while ago I read about a flat for sale built into the wall of Pembroke Castle.  An appealing idea so I thought I would check out the castle this visit. Frances and David drove me there, though for some reason they don't appear in any of the photos.  The castle was originally timber, built for Roger de Montgomery in 1093.  He was a cousin of William the Conqueror.  There is a huge cavern in the rock under the castle and evidence that the site has been inhabited since Paleolithic times, possible shelter during the Ice Age.
The Castle calls itself the birthplace of the Tudor Dynasty.  King Henry VII was born within the castle walls in 1457.
 
 
 
 

My favourite apples - Cox's Pippins in this shop in the town.
 

I didn't see any houses built actually in the castle walls but thought this would do nicely.
 
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. Owain Glyndwr might frown at your mellowing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cox's Orange Pippins, swans AND a wealth of history! Lovely to read your reflections on your trip as you now have time to put them down.

    ReplyDelete