Friday, August 20, 2010

The Big Birthday

The next day dawned bright and warm again.  This time we were off to the Santa Clothhilde Gardens which are Lloret de Mars Botanical Gardens.  This is the sort of stuff you see in Gardens of the World documentaries...
I did get some ideas for my own humble little plot... but there was not much time for plotting and scheming.  We had a birthday lunch to go to.  Les's Mum (conveniently named Margaret) was having her 78th birthday.
Yes, there was a slight error in the age on the cake.
Margaret was a little overcome by the occasion but in the photo above she is actually wiping cream off her face which the cheeky waiter daubed on.  Ooh these Spanish waiters...
Les and parents went home.  Rose, Mum and I walked 20 m to the beach and hired lounges and a parasol.
Here's my view of the beach.  For some reason, my feet were quite swollen towards the end of the holiday.  To my surprise I enjoyed being in the sea even though it was quite calm.  The sand is gritty but once you're in the sea it is divine.  And you only have to be about 2 metres out to be up to your shoulders (well yes some people are a little taller...).  Looking back to shore
Lolling around in the sun all afternoon can make you ravenous so we went for paella that evening.
We strolled along the front at Lloret de Mar - very romantic.
Then into the paella performance.
Mum a little aghast at the size of the serves...  Maybe Les squeezed lemon in her eye...
Yummo!
The night cats prowling home
Lloret de Mar by night - moon and castle

2 comments:

  1. oh lovely! I was a little surprised when at first you wrote Lloret de Mars. I thought that was a little co incidental...I guess that s just snuck in. One of the things we will need to do to the house is to landscape- maybe we could hire you for a summer....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooooh yes. I could be the jobbing gardener - my friend Sashy Babe would be a better designer. Actually there is an annual Garden Therapy conference in Chicago that we'd both like to go to...

    ReplyDelete