Saturday, February 26, 2011

Theres Welsh

I wasn't actually going to blog blogblodwyn today but I found myself here and realised it's a good opportunity to tell you of my cultural weekend.  I've read Lovesong by Alex Miller.  It's being discussed with Eat, Pray, Love at the Wentworth Book Discussion Group (not to be confused with the Buronga Book Club from which I think I must retire) in March.  I'm intrigued that the books have been linked together so I'll probably mosey along to the Discussion.  AND I've seen two (2!!!!) films at the cinema - that's usually my average for a year - and still could be, I suppose.  Yesterday The King's Speech which everyone is raving about so I hardly needed to see it.  But regardless, so glad I did because I love the fashion and interior design from the 1920s, 30s.  And I also remembered that my Mum had told me (when we were in Wales, actually) that her parents were taking her to see a show in London for her 13th birthday but the war was declared that day and when they got to the theatre it was closed.  The film I saw today was South Solitary.  I was drawn to it because it's about a light-house and for many years I thought it would be lovely to be a light-house keeper.  It turns out that the film was shot in Portland, now home to Mrs History, but it also has a lovely curly haired Welshman in it (well, actually his accent wavered a bit, but it was mostly Welsh).  I've just remembered that it also had Esse Davis in it - a Bellerive girl.  And I've done no housework but one load of washing...

5 comments:

  1. I've been wanting to see the kings speech, I wanted to before it became such a big hit-it's just the kind of movie I like, but rarely get to see at the movies....usually it's something we all go and see, but that's so expensive that we only go to see the things we ALL really want to see. The last thing we saw together was the latest Harry Potter, and probably before that it was the second last HP.
    but it's all been very welsh around here too for some reason. Ella is still holding out for her trip to wales when you turn 60. I think she feels she's owed it after her memory bank project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I shared your dental adventures, so recently, I thought that I should share mine with you.

    Whilst whiling away time in the company of my good Welsh mate, Dai (my dentist and fellow parent at our local primary school, many, many long years ago), I mentioned that I had a friend who had spent a wonderful holiday in St Davids in 2010. He said that you probably had the odd drink at the Farmers Arms. Having consulted your photographic records, perhaps not, but I found the establishment on the web, so he has obviously also been in St Davids, once or twice.

    Anyway, whilst whiling away my spare time in his comfortable dentist's chair, charmed by his faultless Welsh accent, I also get to enjoy a glittering handmade pictorial representation of a dragon, presented to him by some of his Welsh language students. He confided to me that it looked rather eastern-inspired, so perhaps it is more a London-based dragon species, than a Pembrokeshire variety. I am impressed at his knowledge of dragon species!

    I am indeed blessed to have a Welsh-speaking chorister of some note, who is also a minor dragon species expert, as my dentist. Even if I am not travelling, I can be transported to magical places!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is truly amazing. Does he still teach Welsh? Some of the sounds are probably easier to make when you're at the dentist. The Farmers used to be the pub my Mum and Dad most frequented. It fell out of favour with me when it stopped serving lunches before 2 pm on the day Steve, Rosemary and I rocked into town famished at 1.50pm. But I forgave it in the company of my Mum and funnily enough was only thinking of it yesterday when I was reading a Welsh recipe for mussels and remembering a wonderful bowl of mussels that Mum and I shared.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I think that he still teaches Welsh. I deduce that from the fact that the dragon picture is a relatively recent addition to his wall. I have allowed myself to toy with the idea of asking him about lessons, but I already suffer enough embarrassment in his company, mouth wide open, trying to look intelligent, whilst mesmerised by the light and the ceiling tiles.

    I found my Welsh grammar (I realise that is rather like Lillian's appellation for me) book, so armed with that and my trusty Welsh dictionary, I am ready to go!

    Talking of my book learning, did you ever manage to decipher my attempt at a Welsh farewell as you left old Welsh Wales?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I believe it said 'until the next time' or words to that effect (courtesy of googling...). Heths and CK are soooo going to enjoy spending Easter speaking only Welsh.
    XXXX

    ReplyDelete