Saturday, November 23, 2013

The Day of the Doctor

Being Riversong I figure I'm allowed to play around with time and place today so we're going back to Bristol and Abergavenny.  Momery and I rendezvoused at Bristol and picked up our hire car from the evocatively named Green Motion Car Hire.  I was delighted, having always wanted a Fiat Bambina
(pictured here en route to The Rhondda 2 days later)
 with a sunroof
so I amused myself all the way out of Bristol and across the Severn into Wales.
Momery was not so amused as she had to drive, but also because when we got to Abergavenny all the advertised accommodation was fully booked.  I had advised against booking ahead...  Fortunately for me, after numerous phone calls, we found the lovely Llanwenarth Hotel where we were ensconced in the Disability Suite for 3 days, no other accommodation being available in the whole of Abergavenny.  The suite came with an Olympic swimming pool sized bathroom which flooded into my bedroom every time we showered.  I could hardly complain.
The River Usk, I think.
  
Breakfasts were a delightful affair. I think I had smoked salmon every morning.
 

It is noteworthy that the Night Bus which Harry Potter caught comes through Abergavenny, as did Gerald of Wales in the 12th century.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. Most Merlin-like and magical, going backward through your journey. Keep up the magic and when we four meet again, we may be even more youthful than we are today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, yes, such charming vistas and beguiling tales of pleasures shared with family and friends. So enjoyable to be able to share it. Love the shot of you in your glasses!

    ReplyDelete