Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Laugharne at last

I have long wanted to see The Boat House and estuary where Dylan Thomas wrote.  Yesterday Mum, Frances, Dave and I drove there.  Sadly it dispelled the illusion I had that I am Dylan Thomas reincarnated cos I learned he died in November of 1953 while I was born in March.  Selfish of him really.

OK, you follow the path around Laugharne Castle.  Go up a little laneway, and look out on the most mellow of waters - Mum was disappointed that the tide was out, but I loved it like this.
I love this kind of beauty.
Up the laneway a little further and there's the little shed that Dylan did his writing in, still set up as if he'd just left it.  Had to take this photo through the window.  It's quite a dark lane...
I suspect that this window wasn't there when he was..
So imagine being perched up there, no-one able to tell whether you were there or not, writing away with just the water and sky to look at.
This is a window in an upstairs bedroom.  Another good writing place.  This is what that window overlooks these days - though never before has it overlooked my Mum and cousins.
There is a photo of Dylan Thomas standing where Mum is in the next photo - on the deck which runs from the back to the front to the house (cartref).  Mum bought a copy of a Child's Christmas in Wales for a very lucky person.
And this photo I took by mistake
but I'm glad.  The goddess was obviously with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment